If you want to "Chard Your OWN Yard" you can use these plans to create a raised garden bed yourself.
We welcome folks to volunteer for "Chard Your Yard" to learn how to build raised garden beds. It's a great way to learn by doing and you help your community as well! Sign up to volunteer!
4 - 2x6 treated boards - 8 feet long
1 - 2x2 treated board - 4 feet
1 box - #5 2.5 inch deck screws - (At least 36 screws total)
½ cubic yard of garden soil (Available from our program - Soil Sales)
½ cubic yard of garden soil equals about 20 - 5 gallon buckets of soil
4 - 2X6 5 ft long sides
4 - 2X6 3 ft short sides
4 - 2X2 8 in corner braces
3 dozen 5# 2.5” deck screws
½ cubic yard dirt (50% compost/50% topsoil)
Cordless drill & bit
- Cut the 8 foot 2x6 boards into two pieces - one 3 feet long, the other 5 feet long
- Cut the 4 foot 2x2 into 4 equal 1 foot pieces
- Assemble short side first
- Lay 2 - 3ft 2x6 side by side on saw horse or work surface
- Align a 2x2 board on the end of the 2x6. Attach the 2x2 on the side of the 2x6 that will be the inside the garden frame.
- Use 4 screws to attach each 2X2 to each end (see below)
- Repeat for second short side
- With 2 people stand assembled short sides up on ends
- Place long side boards across 2 ends lining them up straight
- Screw 2 screws thru each board end, connecting the corners
- Flip bed to unfinished side and repeat with last 2 boards
- Position the assembled bed and fill with soil.
Please consider using your new skill to help others by volunteering!
Calculate the Amount of Soil you need!
Here's a handy online tool to calculate the amount of soil you will need for any size garden!
Last updated - 2022-04-01